The Urban Innovation Research team in UBC’s Sustainability Hub manages the Campus as a Living Lab initiative. We develop opportunities for new living lab projects and collaborations, support existing programs and projects, facilitate partnerships and capacity building, and expand knowledge mobilization and dissemination.
Angelique leads the Urban Innovation Research portfolio of interdisciplinary research and knowledge dissemination programs focused on sustainable buildings and urban development. She develops collaborations and partnerships that take advantage of UBC’s role as a living lab for sustainability, utilizing planning, building and infrastructure projects as opportunities for innovation, learning and knowledge exchange.
Angelique holds a Master of Architecture from the University of British Columbia and a Bachelor of Science in Architecture from the University of Michigan, and has professional experience in firms in both Canada and the United States. She has been at UBC for 10 years, in a variety of roles working at the intersection of research and practice.
Angelique is on the Leadership Board for the BC Chapter of the Canada Green Building Council; she is a certified Project Management Professional, and a LEED Accredited Professional with a specialization in Building Design and Construction.
As a Research Project Coordinator at the Sustainability Hub, Diana Lopez contributes to multiple interdisciplinary research and knowledge dissemination projects and initiatives focused on sustainable buildings and urban development within the UBC campus. She has conducted research and participated in the creation of educational materials for multiple projects on campus, and she currently coordinates research for the Campus as a Living Lab initiative.
Diana holds a Master of Applied Science in Civil Engineering from UBC, and a diverse background in project management and applied research focused on green buildings, urban infrastructure and sustainable development. She is a LEED Green Associate and a Certified Associate in Project Management.
Simar is currently pursuing Master of Community and Regional Planning at UBC and holds a Bachelor of Architecture from GGSIPU, New Delhi. Prior to joining UBC, he served as AIF Banyan Impact Fellow '21-22, Atlas Corps Scholar ’22 and as National President ’20-21 of National Association of Students of Architecture, India. He is a registered Architect with COA (India) and has worked on the intersection of sustainability and equity for over a decade in various capacities while volunteering with NGOs, leading organizations and as a consulting Architect.
The Steering Committee provides governance and oversight to the CLL initiative, and helps to enable and support individual projects and activities.
- Andrew Parr, AVP Student Housing and Community Services
- Angelique Pilon, Director Urban Innovation Research
- Iain Begg, Director of Innovation Partnerships (co-chair)
- Iain Evans, Consultant in the VP Research and Innovation Office
- Jennifer Sanguinetti, Managing Director Infrastructure Development
- John Madden, Director Sustainability and Engineering
- John Metras, AVP Facilities / Interim VP Operations (co-chair)
- Linda Nowlan, Senior Director Sustainability Hub
- Rachel Fernandez, VP Research and Innovation
- Michael White, AVP Campus and Community Planning
- Philip Brussé, Associate Director Energy Conservation and Innovation
- Siu Tse, Director Engineering and Utilities
- Tara Ivanochko, Academic Director Sustainability Hub
- Walter Mérida, Associate Dean of Research, Faculty of Applied Science